[Crm-sig] 6.2.2's MonetaryAmount and Currency

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Sat Jan 7 19:02:25 EET 2017

Dear Richard,

On 6/1/2017 7:57 μμ, Richard Light wrote:

> On 2017-01-06 2:06 PM, martin wrote:
>> Dear Robert,
>>
>> Thank you very much for your message! Let me first comment your
>> initial mail.
> Martin,
>
> This reply of yours has only just popped into my in-box, so my
> previous reply was written before I had read it.
>
>> As a general remark to all other valuable contributions to this issue
>> however: We should not loose focus: the CRM intends only to describe
>> important facts for cultural-historical and scientific inquiries
>> across integrated knowledge networks. If we want to describe any
>> detail, we are free to put it in P2 notes or to make our own
>> extensions. For instance, I'd argue that details of dimensions of
>> museum objects are irrelevant to global queries. Would anybody
>> research for all objects that could be 3.25 mm long, without any
>> prior, substantial reduction of the search space? Without a strict
>> scope limitation, we will end up modelling all sciences and
>> businesses of the world.
> I don't see how this argument applies to measurement of museum
> objects, given what is already in the CRM.  We have /E16 Measurement/,
> which is an attribute assignment activity, with properties /P39
> measured /specifying the thing measured, and /P40 observed dimension
> /giving the result of the measurement activity.  This is an /E54
> Dimension/: the very thing we are discussing.  The examples in the
> scope notes include the length of museum objects.  If measuring museum
> objects is 'out of scope', what are these classes and properties doing
> in the CRM?
I never said that measuring is out of scope. I said that reasoning about
precise dimension values is out of scope. Applications that do have the
problem would first filter out certain contextual parameters, then
verify the quality of the available data, and then feed the numerical
data into a specialized system doing further processing.

> Also, while I agree that it is unlikely that anyone would search for
> all objects that are exactly a certain length, they might very well be
> interested in objects that have dimensions which are less than or
> greater than a certain value.
That might be the case. If it is, your proposal to split a length value
into feet and inches is exactly the opposite to do. Then, we normalize
to a common standard, i.e., e metric interval. The applications I know
of is packaging for exhibitions etc. This is a local problem in the
museum. Packaging dimensions require a specific method, e.g., using a
box with adjustable walls.

But, asking the audience: *Who has a real use case for this scenario?
*This is not to question your argument, it is a serious question.

>> CRM compatibility does not prohibit any local extension of topics
>> outside its scope. Since CRM SIG acts as standardization body, it
>> cannot be proactive to needs. It can only react after some
>> established practices need harmonization.
> Measuring objects is a core part of museum documentation.  There is a
> wealth of existing 'established practice' to support this.
Of course. Not only measuring lentghs, but a large variety of analytical
methods. This is a domain of CRMSci.
For instance, spectral analysis of colorants. But you would query for
"egyptian blue", and then question the measurement data. You would not
query for spectral values. Therefore, spectral values need not be
accessible to SPRQL queries, only obviously connected to the object and
the analysis events. Please conservators to correct me!