[Crm-sig] 6.2.2's MonetaryAmount and Currency

Robert Sanderson RSanderson at getty.edu
Sat Jan 7 02:12:18 EET 2017

Thank you, Martin!

I think the explicit addition that the value is the face value, not the market value, would make the usage clearer. Perhaps even adding that the time associated with an activity with which the Monetary Amount is associated should be used for comparison, if that degree of accuracy is important and historical market values are available?

And, if I understand you on the topic of Dimensions, the intent is the same? That a Dimension with a value of 3, and a Unit of inches, is the equivalent notion of the face value of the observed length, however it happens to be extremely stable as to the “buying power” of that particular unit … however per Simon’s informative email, before 1959 the imperial and US inch currencies were very fractionally different from what we call an inch today and using the date and location of observation (if known) would be important for Very Large numbers of inches.

If I had two measurements of:

_:big a E54_Dimension ;
  P90_has_value 2000000 ;
  P91_has_unit <uri-for-inches> .

And one was associated with a Measurement performed in 1950 in France, the other in 1970, the two quantities are actually off by one.
The interpretation of the combination of the value and unit seems dependent on the date of the activity that established it, and thus is the scope note correct that the quantity the instance of Dimension describes is independent from the observed approximation?  Or am I just misunderstanding the intent of scope note? :)

To look at it another way, for the activity of assessing the value of an object, would you say that’s an E16 Measurement, that P39 measured the object, and P40 observed dimension of the Monetary Amount?
(perhaps also with a P2_has_type of aat:300054622, “appraising”)

[More about the identity question in the other thread]

Thanks!

Rob