[Crm-sig] 6.2.2's MonetaryAmount and Currency

Chryssoula Bekiari bekiari at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jan 4 15:07:35 EET 2017

Dear Richard

About the releases of the text of CIDOC CRM, I would like to note that,
in the the 36th meeting, taken place in August in Crete, it is proposed
and accepted to separate publications into categories: Official,
Published and Current and to add the 'editorial status' in the each
cidoc crm text.
If the Type of Document is Official or Published then the editorial
status is closed. This means that this document is no longer under
editorial revision. It is no longer subject to change and its contents
will remain stable.
If the Type of Document is Current then the editorial status is open.
This is an un revised and as yet incomplete community version of the
CIDOC CRM. It is the currently edited version of the CIDOC CRM text and
represents a working version of the CIDOC CRM and should not be used for
implementation, reference or other official purposes. The function of
this document is as a reference resource for developers of the CIDOC CRM
standard to discuss on-going, proposed but not yet accepted changes to
the model. The contents of this document are not stable and are subject
to change. In this case, we distinguish two types of editorial status,
the following:
"In Progress": This current  version of CIDOC CRM contains open issues
that are actively being worked on. The document may therefore change at
any time since it is being updating according with the last CIDOC CRM
SIG meeting discussions and their conclusions. This copy of the standard
should be used only for the purpose of following present modelling
discussions on the CIDOC CRM SIG meeting. This document is not meant to
support implementations, referencing or other official activities.
"Under Revision". This  current version of the CIDOC CRM standard
contains open issues that have been declared and specified and which are
scheduled to be addressed in an upcoming meeting of the CIDOC CRM SIG.
The document may change relative to decisions taken at the next CIDOC
CRM SIG meeting. This copy of the standard should be used only for the
purpose of following present modelling discussions on the CIDOC CRM SIG
list and meetings. It represents a step before a potential stable
release of the standard. This document is not meant to support
implementations, referencing or other official activities. (see also
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/sites/default/files/minutes_Heraklio_1_8_2016%28v5%29.pdf.)

Thus the latest 'current' version of CIDOC CRM 6.2.2 is on the site with
editorial status 'Under Revision since 2/12/2016'
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/sites/default/files/CIDOC%20CRM%206.2.2%28current%20since%202-12-2016%29%28site%29.pdf
and it contains the E96 Purchase.
This version does not contain yet the latest changes made in the Berlin
meeting. New current version will be uploaded until January 15.

Any comments or recommendations for this process are welcome

with my best wishes for a happy and productive  2017

Chryssoula

On 4/1/2017 10:23 πμ, Richard Light wrote:

> On 2017-01-03 11:01 PM, Robert Sanderson wrote:
>> Dear all,
>>
>> At the Getty, we are currently remodeling our Provenance Index data into Linked Open Data.  As you might expect, there is a lot of historical payment information related to the transfer of ownership of objects.  We were very happy to see that 6.2.2 adds in some of the foundational modeling for supporting this information.  The scope notes in the current draft are a little unclear for Monetary_Amount and Currency, however.
> The version of 6.2.2 on the old web site [1] doesn't include P96
> Purchase, so I can't comment on this in detail.  (In fact, the .doc
> version of the current release is actually headed 6.2.1. Still, this
> is better than the 'new' site [2], where the current release that is
> offered is 5.0.4 from December 2011.  I think some updating is required.)
>
>> We are assuming that the Amount the face value of the money (e.g. $100 USD is always the amount 100 of the currency USD) regardless of the actual _value_ of that amount. If this is correct, then could the scope notes confirm this?
>>
>> All currency amounts have an absolute value that changes constantly due to inflation and markets, and there’s no way to associate a date with the amount instance to capture this.  This seems somewhat in conflict with being a subclass of Dimension, which is “the true quantity, independent from its numerical approximation, e.g. in inches or in cm.” – in other words the absolute value, independent of the unit, which is in this case the currency.
> Assuming that E96 Purchase is a subclass of E7 Activity, it will have
> the opportunity to record an associated date.  I think you are
> over-thinking what it is feasible to record here: if a specified price
> was paid for an object on a specified date, surely that's all you need
> to record - in fact it's all you can record. It is for others to make
> their own deductions as to the 'real' value (in some sense) of that
> monetary amount.
>> As a thought experiment, if the unit of an “inch” were to change definition to be exactly 2.5 centimeters, then I believe from the description of Dimension, that the lengths would remain the same in absolute value, and we would need a new unit for “new inches”.  This is not practical for currency, as we would need new units constantly … which is also forbidden by the scope notes of currency: “One monetary system has only one currency”.  So how are we to deal with comparisons over time?
> I think that the only case where we should be making this sort of
> distinction is where the currency itself changes its 'semantics': for
> example the revaluation of the French franc in 1960.

> [...]

Chryssoula Bekiari
Research and Development Engineer

Center for Cultural Informatics / Information Systems Laboratory

N. Plastira 100, Vassilika Vouton, GR-700 13 Heraklion, Crete, Greece
Phone: +30 2810 391631, Fax: +30 2810 391638, Skype: xrysmp
E-mail: bekiari at ics.forth.gr
Web-site: http://www.ics.forth.gr/isl/index_main.php?l=e&c=231