[Crm-sig] Release of Records in Contexts by EGAD

Mika Nyman mika.nyman at synapse-computing.com
Sun Oct 30 20:12:10 EET 2016

Dear Maria (& Dear All),

Let me provide some background as a partial answer to your question.

The CIDOC CRM SIG has been involved in a co-operative process to
reformulate and further develop the conceptual model for libraries,
FRBR, to make it conformant and interoperable with the CIDOC CRM. This
process has been conducted under the auspices of of IFLA's FRBR Review
Group. Its Working Group on FRBR/CRM Dialogue, founded 2003, has been
instrumental in this pursuit. IFLA has had the final say in individual
decisions along the way, as well as in the outcome of the process. This
has led to the creation of the FRBRoo model that in addition to the FRBR
also includes two additional library models, FRAD for authority data and
FRSAD for subject authority data. The FRBRoo is an Object-Oriented model.

A recent, additional resource is the PRESSoo model for continuing
resources. PRESSoo is an extension of the CIDOC CRM. An overview of both
these processes and models can be found in Patrick Le Boeuf's paper "A
Basic Introduction to FRBRoo and PRESSoo"
<http://library.ifla.org/1150/1/207-leboeuf-en.pdf>.

In parallel to contributing to the development of the FRBRoo, the FRBR
Review Group has developed the FRBR-Library Reference Model
<http://www.ifla.org/node/10280?og=587> that aims to be a high-level
conceptual reference model developed within an entity-relationship
modelling framework. The FRBR-LRM consolidates FRBR, FRAD and FRSAD.

(Others may want to correct me, if I have been imprecise in my
formulations above.)

All the time, while co-operation to develop the FRBRoo has been
underway, a natural intuition has been, that a similar process with
archives would be possible, desirable and even necessary. To promote
this goal, one of the CIDOC CRM SIG meetings was devoted to this aim in
Helsinki 2010. The long term aim was to create a common conceptual model
for Archives, Libraries and Museums. The Helsinki meeting included
representatives of CIDOC, IFLA and ICA and led to further probing
contacts with ICA. Attending the Helsinki meeting were also
representatives of the National Archives Service of Finland. In 2012
(continuing until 2018) a project called AHAA was started here to create
a conceptual model for archives in Finland. The work was based on ICA
standards, but CIDOC CRM was also one of the resources used in this
work. This work was presented in the ICA Brisbane conference in 2012
<http://ica2012.ica.org/program/full-papers.html>, see Hupaniittu Outi
(with Jaana Kilkki and Pekka Henttonen) "Towards the new era of archival
description". It is my belief that the Finnish contribution was a
trigger in the establishment of the Expert Group on Archival Description
in 2012. I may be biased in my judgement here. Naturally parallel
efforts in other countries had an equally significant impact.
Representatives from 13 countries has participated in the work of the
EGAD. The AHAA project with its deliverables (including input from the
CIDOC CRM) has been one resource the work of the EGAD. The 0.1 version
of the AHAA conceptual model can be found here in English:
<http://www.arkisto.fi/uploads/Arkistolaitos/Hankkeet/AHAA/>.

The Digisam project, where the Swedish National Archives has had a
leading role, has shown an active interest in CIDOC CRM over the years.
One example of this is an experiment with CIDOC CRM and archival
materials
<http://www.digisam.se/archival-information-cidoc-crm-true/?lang=en>.

Since its inception, the EGAD has foreseen co-operation with IFLA and
ICOM (including CIDOC). However, the EGAD decided that during its
mandate period from 2012-2016 the process would be conducted only within
the archives community. In practice, the work of the EGAD has been
shielded from outside view. Now, after the release of the work of the
EGAD for comments, the situation is completely reversed.

One option to proceed with the co-operation with ICA would be to devote
a CIDOC CRM SIG meeting in the Fall 2017 to pursue the mapping of CIDOC
CRM and FRBRoo with the RiC. I would be willing to probe into the
possibilities of arranging such a meeting in Helsinki with the
participation of the National Archives Service of Finland and with ICA
participation. The benefit of arranging the meeting in Helsinki would be
to ensure the participation and contribution of the National Archives
Service of Finland in the meeting. The RiC could also be included as an
item in the agendas of the CIDOC CRM SIG meetings in Berlin in December
2016 and Heraklion in April 2017. I suggest that the option of arranging
a meeting in Helsinki is discussed in Berlin and not here on the mailing
list.

Best regards,
Mika

--------------------

Some additional personal notes: I had an opportunity to participate in
the initial phases of the AHAA project. As a part of this work I made a
mapping of the AHAA model, FRBRoo and CIDOC CRM, including a RDFS
serialisation of the mapping. My own conclusion from the AHAA work was
that to support the mapping, a metamodel would be useful. Developing
such a metamodel has been my own focus of interest since the end of the
preliminary phase of the AHAA project. I have outlined some underlying
ideas of this metamodel in an essay published in the Iranian Farhang-e
moze -journal this autumn. I also plan to present the ideas of the
Farhang article in a meeting of the The Semiotic Society of Finland,
December 1st. In Finland, a national workshop to provide feedback to the
RiC model will be conducted December 7th. My aim is to present the
metamodel there. I also aim to replicate the mapping done in the AHAA
project, but this time with the support of the metamodel. The outcome
would be a mapping of CIDOC CRM, FRBRoo and RiC. For me the main purpose
of this exercise is to test and refine the metamodel. I have a hidden
agenda in developing the metamodel: it aims to broaden the scope of
documentation in museums and create a new concept for digital services
for cultural heritage supported by a two-layer information architecture
consisting of virtual collections and a narrative top layer. The slogans
I have been using are "From Statements to Stories" and "From Linked Data
to Linked Stories".