[Crm-sig] Homework for Issue 287, FAQ on Modelling States of Prints using FRBRoo

Pierre Choffé choffepierre at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 20:40:28 EEST 2016

Hi Pat, hello everyone,

Starting from the initial sketch or drawing, and ending with the final
prints, what would you think of this FRBRoo process :

(1) Drawing
The initial sketch or drawing may be a piece of art in itself, kept in a
museum, we could describe its creation with the usual F28 Expression
Creation activity, creating an F22 Self-Contained Expression which realises
an F14 Individual Work. The same F28 Expression Creation *r18 created* an
F4 Manifestation Singleton which is the object (the drawing).

(2) Production of the plate
This drawing will be used to produce a plate. To make it short, we could
use an E12 Production activity which would have *p16 used a specific object*
F4 Manifestation Singleton (the drawing, F4 is a subclass of E24 Physical
Man-Made Thing) and *p31 produced* an E22 Man-Made Object, the plate.
If we consider this plate (and its possible modifications during the
process) as expressions of a work, we can model the creation process with
F28-F22-F14 creating an F4 (a plate), and F28 *p16 used a specific object *F4
(the drawing).
Should the plate be modified, the process is repeated with F28-F22-F14
creating an F4 (a new plate), and F28 *p16 used a specific object *F4 (the
precedent plate).
F28 is a subclass of E65 Creation, but also of E12 Production which itself
is a subclass of E11 Modification.
The various F22 Self-Contained Expression resulting from these multiple
production/modification activities are various forms that the same work
takes each time it is realised, so they can be grouped inside an F15
Complex Work which they "realise" : F15 *r3 is realised in* F22.

(3) Test prints
The first print(s) are generally not part of a publication process, they
are proofs.They can be modelled via an E12 Production activity which would
have *p16 used a specific object *F4 Manifestation Singleton (the plate)
and *p31 produced* one or more E22 Man-Made Object, the test print(s).
If we want to use F28 Expression Creation here, since F4s are supposed to
be unique, we need to use as many F38, producing as many F22 as there are
F4s, which makes sense as the "épreuves d'artiste" have a unique number.

(4) Publication
The 'industrial' process of publication is the usual one in FRBRoo, F30
Publication Event creating an F24 Publication Expression which realises an
F19 Publication Work. The F32 Carrier Production Event *p16 used specific
object* F4 Manifestation Singleton (the plate) and *p31 produced* an F5
Item.
The F24 Publication Expression *r6i is carried by* the F5 Item and *r27i
was used as source material by* the F32 Carrier Production Event.

There may be complex printing processes (e.g. various prints for the
different colours of the same print), but this would be a variant of the
above.

All the best,
Pierre