[Crm-sig] P62 Homework

Simon Spero sesuncedu at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 00:57:15 EEST 2016

On Sun, Jul 24, 2016, 3:39 PM martin <martin at ics.forth.gr> wrote:

> Dear Franco, All,

Dear Martin, Stephen, all :-)

The property "depicts" was meant to do it via a visual process,
> in particular statues and paintings, that by their whole shape and surface
> properties represent something. This means, by
> surface properties and passive light reflection.

[all uses of "depict"  or "depicts" that follow should be understood as
referring to P62, possibly with the second argument unspecified]

This roughly matches my understanding, which makes a couple of Stephen's
answers confusing; possibly because my questions were unclear.

1)  a picture on an e-ink display does not depict.
This surprised me, as e-ink (and e-paper in general) work by passive light
reflection, and only require power to change the display.
The intended contrast was with the active OLED display, which emits light,
and requires continuous power.

2) a picture that requires a UV lamp to be seen does depict.
This question was aimed at clarifying whether the image must be produced by
(subtractive) reflection of incident light, or if fluorescence caused
absorption of that light was sufficient.

3) a ball-and-stick model of DNA is  not a depiction of DNA.

I am unsure why this is the case; it is a symbolic representation, created
by human activity, and intended to be decoded using the human visual system
without the assistance of specific equipment.
If it does not depict, then it is not clear that "Guernica" does.

I assume it is uncontroversial that  "Photograph 51"  depicts DNA?

Simon