[Crm-sig] P62 Homework

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Sun Jul 24 22:30:09 EEST 2016

Dear Franco, All,

The property "depicts" was meant to do it via a visual process, in
particular statues and paintings, that by their
whole shape and surface properties represent something. This means, by
surface properties and passive light reflection. The electronic world
was not in the primary scope of the CRM. If "depicts" should be used
more broadly, is a question to be discussed.

I agree that a confusion comes from the term "file". It is simply,
always wrong, to compare an ontology
with a word. The question is the identity condition. The E73 is
something that is potentially IDENTICAL
on multiple carriers. A single carrier is a physical thing. A file
content on a magnetic device is a magnetization
pattern, as such hardly visible. A CD could be read bit by bit by
microscope. Both are not resembling in any way
what they are meant to represent. What we call "file" is not relevant
for us, but which identity condition is meant for documentation.
A file content, the physical feature, is turned into visual signals by a
complicated process, and this varies significantly from device to
device, at least in color calibration and resolution. Therefore I'd
prefer not to use the "depicts" property for encoded information.

Recently in the PARTHENOS Project, our team has discussed the concept of
a "volatile dataset". We'll present
next week. It's identity condition is more that of a "Work", intentional
rather than by encoding.

All the best,

Martin