[Crm-sig] P62 Homework

Christian-Emil Smith Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Sat Jul 23 13:43:34 EEST 2016

The punch tape, polyphone disk and  vinyl record are all very concrete examples of the difference between the carrier and the abstract content. A magnetic tape be it for computers, music or video (e.g VHS) may also be carriers of information although it gets more abstract since we cannot see the patterns. On a magnetic disk or a flash drive the patterns representing/carrying the information is even more hidden.  In all cases it is the physical pattern on the physical object that carries the information.

 In the (early) 1980s "“Please send me by email the file of your photo" would not have been relevant. However you could get a copy of  the file on a magnetic tape (or a copy of the original punch tape) or using ftp. In all cases there will be a process of copying the pattern from one medium to another and by this changing the receiving medium in the same way a laser printer change the paper by adding toner to it. The paper  with the toner pattern  is a physical object. The email + the file will  receive your computer through a series of copying processes.

I think you are quite right when pointing to  everyday  languages. We need to use care when we formulate the scope notes. Remember also that the names of the classes in CRM are just there as a crutch for the memory. The meaning of a class is in the scope note solely.

Best,
Christian-Emil