[Crm-sig] P62 Homework

Christian-Emil Smith Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Sat Jul 23 09:41:15 EEST 2016


Hi
A file is nota E73 information object. It is a physical object. You may store your portrait of Martin on a punch tape (of a considerable length) or a stack of punch cards for that matter. In principle there is no difference between an object with a magnetic emulsion and a punch tape with respect to carrying information.

Yu ma also go back to the polyphone (http://www.hlxx.de/hp/polyphon.htm) which  indeed by many have been considered to be a heap of scrap metal and pieces of wood. Still it is able to store information.

Best
Christian-Emil

>-----Original Message-----
>From: Crm-sig [mailto:crm-sig-bounces at ics.forth.gr] On Behalf Of Franco
>Niccolucci
>Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 6:55 PM
>To: steads at paveprime.com
>Cc: crm-sig at ics.forth.gr
>Subject: Re: [Crm-sig] P62 Homework
>
>I recently reviewed a (bad) paper on multimedia which revamped my
>interest on the topic. Let me tell you my doubts-
>
>P62 concerns an E24 Physical Man-Made Things, together with P65 shows
>visual item, although the latter is well known to have a slightly different
>meaning. E.g.: a caricature on paper, Mona Lisa, a coin with Queen Elizabeth’s
>profile, a postcard of Crete, the photo of Martin Doerr when he was 6 years
>old (yes, Martin has been a child, but long time ago): they are all allowed to
>P62 depict. So far, so good.
>
>If today I take a digital photo of Martin Doerr, e.g. with my iphone, what I
>produce is an E73 Information Object, stored somewhere in the iphone, in
>the memory of my Mac where I copy it, in the iCloud where I regularly back
>up the iphone content etc. This E73 exists as long as at least one of these
>physical carriers (E84 Information Carrier) stores it. E84 is an E22 Man-Made
>Object, a subclass of E24, so it is an E24 as well. As such, it is allowed to P62
>depict.
>
>Going up the E73 class genealogy, (E73 subclass of E89 subclass of E28) one
>arrives at E28 Symbolic Object, so the file produced on my iphone is an E28,
>which is the sister of E24, and both are distinct siblings of E71 Man-Made
>Thing. Being immaterial, E73 is NOT allowed to depict.
>
>In conclusion: if now I take a photo of Martin with a film, the film (and any
>printout out of it) P62 depicts Martin. But if I take the same photo with my
>iphone, what depicts Martin? Not the corresponding jpeg file E73 in the
>iphone (or any copy of it), because E73 does not belong to the domain of P62.
>Possibly the iphone memory where the file is stored, which as physical thing
>inherits the P62 domain from E24, but it sounds a bit weird to say “Franco’s
>iphone memory card depicts Martin Doerr".
>
>Any solution to this asymmetry?
>
>Note that both things, the film and the file, are related to the same visual
>item “image of Martin Doerr on 22/07/2016”: but the film is allowed to P65
>show it, the file is not.
>
>Why not defining the domain of P62 as E71 Man-Made Thing, to incorporate
>both material items, coinciding with their carrier, and immaterial items,
>stored on a separate carrier? when we look at a painting, do we look at the
>assemblage of canvas, pigments, etc or we look at the E36 Visual Item P65
>shown on it? They seem to be inseparable, but as digital technology shows,
>possibly they are not.
>
>This may lead to the question: what about icloud, is it a physical thing or
>what? It is of course made of physical disks, flash memories, cables etc, but
>without the appropriate software all this is just a heap of scrap iron that can’t
>store anything.
>But let us keep this question for another thread.
>
>Thanks in advance for any comment on the above concerns, they keep me
>awake in the nights of this hot July.
>
>Franco
>
>
>Prof. Franco Niccolucci
>Director, VAST-LAB
>PIN - U. of Florence
>Scientific Coordinator
>ARIADNE - PARTHENOS
>
>Piazza Ciardi 25
>59100 Prato, Italy
>
>
>
>> Il giorno 22 lug 2016, alle ore 15:41, Stephen Stead
><steads at paveprime.com> ha scritto:
>>
>> Revision of Scope note:
>>
>> BEFORE:-
>> P62 depicts (is depicted by)
>>
>> Domain:                               E24 Physical Man-Made Thing
>> Range:                  E1 CRM Entity
>> Quantification:  many to many (0,n:0,n)
>>
>> Scope note:        This property identifies something that is depicted by an
>instance of E24 Physical Man-Made Thing. Depicting is meant in the sense
>that the surface of the E24 Physical Man-Made Thing shows, through its
>passive optical qualities or form, a representation of the entity depicted. It
>does not pertain to inscriptions or any other information encoding.
>>
>> This property is a shortcut of the more fully developed path from E24
>Physical Man-Made Thing through P65 shows visual item (is shown by), E36
>Visual Item, P138 represents (has representation) to E1CRM Entity. P62.1
>mode of depiction allows the nature of the depiction to be refined.
>> Examples:
>> §  The painting “La Liberté guidant le peuple” by Eugène Delacroix
>> (E84) depicts the French “July Revolution” of 1830 (E7) §  the 20
>> pence coin held by the Department of Coins and Medals of the British
>> Museum under registration number 2006,1101.126 (E24) depicts Queen
>> Elizabeth II (E21) mode of depiction Profile (E55)
>>
>> In First Order Logic:
>>                                P62(x,y) ⊃ E24(x)
>>                                P62(x,y) ⊃ E1(y)
>>                                P62(x,y,z) ⊃ [P62(x,y) ∧ E55(z)]
>>
>> Properties:         P62.1 mode of depiction: E55 Type
>>
>> AFTER:-
>>
>> P62 depicts (is depicted by)
>>
>> Domain:                               E24 Physical Man-Made Thing
>> Range:                  E1 CRM Entity
>> Quantification:  many to many (0,n:0,n)
>>
>> Scope note:        This property identifies something that is depicted by an
>instance of E24 Physical Man-Made Thing. Depicting is meant in the sense
>that the surface of the E24 Physical Man-Made Thing shows, through its
>passive optical qualities or form, a representation of the entity depicted.
>"Passive optical qualities" specifically excludes anything that actively
>transmits light. It does not pertain to inscriptions or any other information
>encoding.
>>
>> This property is a shortcut of the more fully developed path from E24
>Physical Man-Made Thing through P65 shows visual item (is shown by), E36
>Visual Item, P138 represents (has representation) to E1CRM Entity. P62.1
>mode of depiction allows the nature of the depiction to be refined.
>> Examples:
>> §  The painting “La Liberté guidant le peuple” by Eugène Delacroix
>> (E84) depicts the French “July Revolution” of 1830 (E7) §  the 20
>> pence coin held by the Department of Coins and Medals of the British
>> Museum under registration number 2006,1101.126 (E24) depicts Queen
>> Elizabeth II (E21) mode of depiction Profile (E55)
>>
>> In First Order Logic:
>>                                P62(x,y) ⊃ E24(x)
>>                                P62(x,y) ⊃ E1(y)
>>                                P62(x,y,z) ⊃ [P62(x,y) ∧ E55(z)]
>>
>> Properties:         P62.1 mode of depiction: E55 Type
>>
>>
>> Stephen Stead
>> Director
>> Paveprime Ltd
>> 35 Downs Court Rd
>> Purley, Surrey
>> UK, CR8 1BF
>> Tel +44 20 8668 3075
>> Fax +44 20 8763 1739
>> Mob +44 7802 755 013
>> E-mail steads at paveprime.com
>> LinkedIn Profile http://uk.linkedin.com/in/steads
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Crm-sig mailing list
>> Crm-sig at ics.forth.gr
>> http://lists.ics.forth.gr/mailman/listinfo/crm-sig
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>Crm-sig mailing list
>Crm-sig at ics.forth.gr
>http://lists.ics.forth.gr/mailman/listinfo/crm-sig



More information about the Crm-sig mailing list