[Crm-sig] P62 Homework

Franco Niccolucci franco.niccolucci at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 19:55:29 EEST 2016

I recently reviewed a (bad) paper on multimedia which revamped my interest on the topic. Let me tell you my doubts-

P62 concerns an E24 Physical Man-Made Things, together with P65 shows visual item, although the latter is well known to have a slightly different meaning. E.g.: a caricature on paper, Mona Lisa, a coin with Queen Elizabeth’s profile, a postcard of Crete, the photo of Martin Doerr when he was 6 years old (yes, Martin has been a child, but long time ago): they are all allowed to P62 depict. So far, so good.

If today I take a digital photo of Martin Doerr, e.g. with my iphone, what I produce is an E73 Information Object, stored somewhere in the iphone, in the memory of my Mac where I copy it, in the iCloud where I regularly back up the iphone content etc. This E73 exists as long as at least one of these physical carriers (E84 Information Carrier) stores it. E84 is an E22 Man-Made Object, a subclass of E24, so it is an E24 as well. As such, it is allowed to P62 depict.

Going up the E73 class genealogy, (E73 subclass of E89 subclass of E28) one arrives at E28 Symbolic Object, so the file produced on my iphone is an E28, which is the sister of E24, and both are distinct siblings of E71 Man-Made Thing. Being immaterial, E73 is NOT allowed to depict.

In conclusion: if now I take a photo of Martin with a film, the film (and any printout out of it) P62 depicts Martin. But if I take the same photo with my iphone, what depicts Martin? Not the corresponding jpeg file E73 in the iphone (or any copy of it), because E73 does not belong to the domain of P62. Possibly the iphone memory where the file is stored, which as physical thing inherits the P62 domain from E24, but it sounds a bit weird to say “Franco’s iphone memory card depicts Martin Doerr".

Any solution to this asymmetry?

Note that both things, the film and the file, are related to the same visual item “image of Martin Doerr on 22/07/2016”: but the film is allowed to P65 show it, the file is not.

Why not defining the domain of P62 as E71 Man-Made Thing, to incorporate both material items, coinciding with their carrier, and immaterial items, stored on a separate carrier? when we look at a painting, do we look at the assemblage of canvas, pigments, etc or we look at the E36 Visual Item P65 shown on it? They seem to be inseparable, but as digital technology shows, possibly they are not.

This may lead to the question: what about icloud, is it a physical thing or what? It is of course made of physical disks, flash memories, cables etc, but without the appropriate software all this is just a heap of scrap iron that can’t store anything.
But let us keep this question for another thread.

Thanks in advance for any comment on the above concerns, they keep me awake in the nights of this hot July.

Franco

Prof. Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence