[Crm-sig] Quick question: In response to naysayers in DPLAdiscussion....

patrick.le-boeuf at bnf.fr patrick.le-boeuf at bnf.fr
Mon Jul 11 11:23:27 EEST 2016

Hi Jim, and hi everyone,
Here is a further reference: it's about the use of FRBRoo and CIDOC CRM in
the French research project named "DOREMUS", which focuses on the
extension of both ontologies to the field of music (concert planning,
scores, audio and video recordings, and documentation about musical works,
from heterogeneous data stores produced by various institutions with
various descriptive traditions and formats): <
http://library.ifla.org/1322/1/093-choffe-fr.pdf >. Unfortunately, the
paper is only available in French so far, but an English translation will
be provided very soon -- hopefully (once it is available, it will be
accessed from: < http://library.ifla.org/1322/1/093-choffe-en.pdf >.
"Serious-ontologies-bashing" has turned quite trendy nowadays. CIDOC CRM
is not its only victim; FRBR-LRM, the IFLA model that integrates FRBRer,
FRAD, and FRSAD, was venomously attacked too, by narrow-minded advocates
of "quick and dirty Frankenstein ontologies". In these times of
selfishness and fragmentation, consistency and robustness are deemed
outmoded. I've no clue what will result from these trends; but for sure
they're here to stay. The smart advocates of the "Pick whichever property
from whatever ontology you like" attitude will only realize the mess
they've created when it is too late.
Best wishes,
Patrick Le Boeuf

Patrick LE BOEUF