[Crm-sig] Quick question: In response to naysayers in DPLA discussion....

Hyvönen Eero eero.hyvonen at aalto.fi
Thu Jul 7 15:17:51 EEST 2016

Hi,

You may also have a look at our new  "WarSampo - Finnish World War II on the Semantic Web" [1]

http://seco.cs.aalto.fi/projects/sotasampo/en/

that is an in-use online RDF data service, based on CIDOC CRM, and seven applications on top of it, with tens of thousands of users cumulatively by now. Its knowledge graph has at the moment over 7 million triples (from, e.g., 160 000 photos, 95 000 death records, etc.). The event-based approach is very suitable in domains such as history that is basically a sequence of events...

 [1] Eero Hyvönen, Erkki Heino, Petri Leskinen, Esko Ikkala, Mikko Koho, Minna Tamper, Jouni Tuominen and Eetu Mäkelä: WarSampo Data Service and Semantic Portal for Publishing Linked Open Data about the Second World War History. The Semantic Web – Latest Advances and New Domains (ESWC 2016) (Harald Sack, Eva Blomqvist, Mathieu d Aquin, Chiara Ghidini, Simone Paolo Ponzetto and Christoph Lange (eds.)), Springer-Verlag, May, 2016.
http://seco.cs.aalto.fi/publications/2016/hyvonen-et-al-warsa.pdf

Best regards – terveisin

Eero
Eero Hyvönen, Professor                                 http://seco.cs.aalto.fi/u/eahyvone/
Aalto University                                                 http://www.aalto.fi/
Dept of Computer Science                              http://cs.aalto.fi/
Semantic Computing Research Group          http://seco.cs.aalto.fi/
P.O. Box 15500, FI-00076 Aalto                     email: eero.hyvonen at aalto.fi
Finland                                                                 phone:  +358 50 384 1618
Visit:                                                                     Room 3579, Otaniementie 17, Espoo, Finland