[Crm-sig] Quick question: In response to naysayers in DPLA discussion....

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jul 6 12:25:49 EEST 2016

Dear Jim,

You can point to researchspace.org, http://wiss-ki.eu/. Both are
scalable OWL/RDF-based implementations, with complete data sets from
some of the largest museums of Europe.
See also http://archesproject.org/ and
http://www.clarosnet.org/XDB/ASP/clarosHome/
The take-up of the CRM is very encouraging these days.

The argument is non-sensical, it is not the CRM that lags behind, but
the IT technology.

Only about the year 2010, scalable Open Source Triple Stores with
industrial quality appeared on the market,
that could manage "contexts" or Named Graphs, also called "quad stores".
Without the latter, integrating data
in such environments meets an unsolvable "data warehouse update problem".

Since 2010, the normal development cycle needs 5 years to come up with
stable applications.

Simply, the CRM was 12 years ahead of its time (first version finished
1998). The reason being, that we at ICS-FORTH could demonstrate the
technology with our in-house solution, the SIS system, long before other
scalable semantic network databases with an RDF-like datamodel were
available. On the one side, marketing the SIS system with all the
continous portings to new platforms exceeded the capacity of our team.
On the
other side, to be so far ahead gave the CRM a long time to mature, which
rarely any other competitive model had.

All the best,

Martin