[Crm-sig] cidoc-crm and frbroo on schema.org

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Sep 16 18:05:33 EEST 2015

On 14/9/2015 2:34 πμ, daniel riley wrote:
> Ahh sent this a bit too soon. I now see schema.org <http://schema.org>
> doesn't accept outside vocabularies. Sorry for the noise.
>
> On Sun, Sep 13, 2015 at 7:30 PM, daniel riley <daniel at verisart.com
> <mailto:daniel at verisart.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     Someone asked me today how Cidoc-crm and Frbroo fits in with
>     schema.org <http://schema.org>. Are there any efforts to integrate
>     it there, or are there aspects of the ontology that don't make it
>     a good candidate for inclusion?

If I understand correctly, schema.org basically uses more or less flat
property lists, which can be extended.
"Both kinds of extensions typically add subclasses and properties to the
core. Properties may be added to existing and/or new classes. More
generally, they are an overlay on top of the core, and so they may add
domains/ranges, superclasses, etc. as well. Extensions have to be
consistent with the core schema.org."

The fundamental difference to the CIDOC CRM methodology is that we
require coverage of new properties by core superproperties, and that we
radically harmonize sibling extensions not to develop parallel concepts.
Without property subsumption, true information integration is not
possible. The complexity of querying will either increase with each
extension, or you simply loose relevant relations in your queries,
because new properties have no generalization. The common superclass
does not generalize the connectivity of the data, only the applicability
of less and less common properties.

Without harmonizing extensions, common semantics between extensions stay
uncorrelated. For instance, INSPIRE contains three different models of
scientific observation, coming from different specialized disciplines,
without being really different. Harmonization needs a considerable
coordination effort.

Therefore, schema.org models can be mapped (easily) into a CRM world,
but not CRM & extensions be put under schema.org.

All the best,

Martin