[Crm-sig] How to represent the textual content of documents about museum objects?

Conal Tuohy conal.tuohy at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 07:53:46 EEST 2015

On 8 September 2015 at 19:05, Richard Light <richard at light.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> Your approach seems perfectly reasonable to me, in the context of an
> RDF/XML serialization.  Presumably it might present problems in other
> serializations, e.g. Turtle, when you get to the point of offering more.

Thanks Richard! I hadn't even considered the possibility that the XML
literal might be a problem in other RDF serializations. I will look into
that.

> Another way of doing it might be to treat the article as a free-standing
> information resource, mint a URL for it, and create RDF metadata which
> describes this resource.  Your proxy software would have to resolve the URL
> and serve up the HTML when requested, but I assume that wouldn't be hard.

Yes that is the other option I considered, and as you say, it would not be
hard.

In the JSON which the Museum API provides these HTML fragments are not even
complete HTML documents; or even well-formed documents; they are just a
sequence of <p> elements. I think any real user interface would want to
integrate them into a larger page, with a title, images, etc; that's at
least partly why I chose to encode them just as literal fragments, rather
than to promote them into being resources in their own right.

But it's difficult to get a picture of which might actually be a useful
approach for a Linked Data client.
--
Conal Tuohy
http://conaltuohy.com/