[Crm-sig] How to represent the textual content of documents about museum objects?

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 8 12:05:10 EEST 2015

On 08/09/2015 05:55, Conal Tuohy wrote:
> I have recently made an experimental software application to generate
> a Linked Data expression of Museum Data from the public collection API
> of Museum Victoria (Melbourne, Australia).
Nice work.

> My question is how to express the text of the actual articles (which
> the Museum Victoria API provides as an HTML fragment embedded in its
> JSON response). At the moment I have simply used rdf:value to attach
> the HTML fragment as an XML literal to the E31 Document instance. Is
> this the recommended practice?
"Recommended practice" suggests that lots of people are already
including full text resources in their Linked Data offerings.  I don't
think we're at that point [yet], though I would be delighted to be told
I'm wrong.

Your approach seems perfectly reasonable to me, in the context of an
RDF/XML serialization.  Presumably it might present problems in other
serializations, e.g. Turtle, when you get to the point of offering more.

Another way of doing it might be to treat the article as a free-standing
information resource, mint a URL for it, and create RDF metadata which
describes this resource.  Your proxy software would have to resolve the
URL and serve up the HTML when requested, but I assume that wouldn't be
hard.

Best wishes,

Richard

> --