[Crm-sig] HomeWork, ISSUE 276, P49

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Oct 9 20:47:08 EEST 2015

Dear Franco,

I agree - it was not my intention that P49 would be the place to define
identity concepts. I may have been
misunderstood in that matter. P49 and E10 are the only? places in the
CRM where "physical possession" appears.
I just wanted to describe, that Physical Things have different concepts
of identity. It is task of each type of E18 to define its own identity
conditions. So, the Ferrari  as a functional instrument in traffic has
identity conditions, and the Ferrari that got a museum exhibit it has
other ones (it may loose te chassis number), and the transition is
fuzzy, as always. Therefore we describe this by a transformation event -
change of identity under preservation of some structured matter - or -
the set of things described in the object record in the museum have been
parts of theFerrari when admitted for traffic. See. e.g., what Enola Gay
became when it was turned into a museum exhibit. So, when talking about
what part of the matter/ molecules of the thing I should have under
control to make the physical possession of a thing unambiguous, I just
wanted to say it should not contradict to the way the type this thing
belongs to requires identification. If someone wants to instantiate P49
unambiguously, it is a recommendation that he also defines the meaning
of a representative part, portion or segment for that thing. If he does
not, the KB may end up with the same object being at different places at
the same time, not a pleasant conclusion. This is a hint against a bad
practice that may exist in some museums having a small sherd and
documenting it as if it were the whole original.

Would you agree on that?

Cheers,

Martin