[Crm-sig] ISSUE Dimension

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Oct 7 21:20:45 EEST 2015

Dear All,

Following todays discussion about business transactions we'll report
later, it appears that the examples of E54 are not consistent:

      E54 Dimension

Subclass of:E1 <#_E1_CRM_Entity> CRM Entity

Scope note:This class comprises quantifiable properties that can be
measured by some calibrated means and can be approximated by values,
i.e. points or regions in a mathematical or conceptual space, such as
natural or real numbers, RGB values etc.

An instance of E54 Dimension represents the true quantity, independent
from its numerical approximation, e.g. in inches or in cm. The
properties of the class E54 Dimension allow for expressing the numerical
approximation of the values of an instance of E54 Dimension. If the true
values belong to a non-discrete space, such as spatial distances, it is
recommended to record them as approximations by intervals or regions of
indeterminacy enclosing the assumed true values. For instance, a length
of 5 cm may be recorded as 4.5-5.5 cm, according to the precision of the
respective observation. Note, that interoperability of values described
in different units depends critically on the representation as value
regions.

Numerical approximations in archaic instances of E58 Measurement Unit
used in historical records should be preserved. Equivalents
corresponding to current knowledge should be recorded as additional
instances of E54 Dimension as appropriate.

Examples:

§currency: £26.00

§length: 3.9-4.1 cm

§diameter 26 mm

§weight 150 lbs

§density: 0.85 gm/cc

§luminescence: 56 ISO lumens

§tin content: 0.46 %

§taille au garot: 5 hands

§calibrated C14 date: 2460-2720 years, etc

An instance of E54 should for instance be : "silver cup 232 height
(E54)" as in P40.