[Crm-sig] HomeWork, ISSUE 276, P49

Franco Niccolucci franco.niccolucci at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 17:49:27 EEST 2015

Dear Martin,

I slightly disagree. You cannot put the burden of the identity criteria of the E18 on P49, which simply associates the E18 to its custodian. Of course, if E18 ceases to exist (as such), there is no issue and nothing to keep in custody.

The matter of the identity criteria is slippery. Simon’s Ferrari would exist and perhaps (P49) have a custodian, according to the law as regards civil responsibility, in this case identity relates to the permanence of the chassis number; as a collectible, the identity criteria might be totally different, probably requiring requiring original pieces.
Theseus’ ship identity depends on the regulations of the Ship Registry of Athens in the 3rd century BC, or whenever it was.
Cutlery - which is **possibly** an E78 collection - is again different. Think of a set of glasses that are more subject to changes compared with metal spoons and forks: you start with 12, then they break, one tonight, another one tomorrow, and so on. For how long would you consider them a set and not just spare glasses?
So, don’t ask poor P49 to help, it is an overwhelming task for it.

Franco

Prof Franco Niccolucci
Director, VAST-LAB
PIN - U. of Florence