[Crm-sig] HomeWork, ISSUE 276, P49

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Oct 5 20:47:34 EEST 2015

Dear Simon,

Your argument well taken, I hope I have not been misunderstood: In the
case of the 12 spoons, forks, and knives, one may argue that as long as
the majority of parts is in the hands of the curator, he has keept it,
even if every piece has temporarily left his hands. This is different
from marking the chassis. One could even allow for all parts being
exchanged, if the object's identity is defined respectively. I'd regard
these as different ways to define a representative part. I believe they
are all acceptable, as long as they do not come in conflict with the
natural concept of identity of the object, and do not cause ambiguity
about who has the object and who the parts. With the cutlery, indeed
someone could be regarded keeper of the whole, and all parts
dissapearing into different hands, leaving the keeper of the whole with
nothing in his hands. I think this should be avoided. Does that make
sense?

Cheers,

Martin