[Crm-sig] ISSUE: Is EDM compliant with CRM?

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Oct 2 21:33:36 EEST 2015

Dear All,

My understanding was so far, the Europeana supports
CRM as a valid application profile, which would mean that
Europeana should accept input in CRM form, as an extension, and
not that EDM id directly CRM compatible.
As a fact, mapping CRM instances to EDM preserves the basic event
structure, which allows for a minimal representation of history, and
all provenance models.

In the attached:
http://pro.europeana.eu/event/edm-workshop-edm-turns-five-so-now-what

I read that
"We maintain EDM is an open process, not a one-directional movement. EDM
would not exist without the contributions of our data and academic
partners! In the past years, task forces within the EuropeanaTech
community have played a crucial role; for example for hierarchical
objects, sounds, and compliance with other modeling approaches like
CIDOC-CRM or FRBR. "

I understand compliance as being different from supporting an extension
covering CRM core elements.

I propose to examine in the next meeting the interpretation of EDM
compliance with respect to ISO21127:2014