[Crm-sig] new CIDOC CRM issue

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue Mar 24 21:03:14 EET 2015

Dear Simon,

Please keep in mind that we do not carry out linguistic interpretations
in the
CRM. How we define a class, here "feature", is only determined by an
objective
behavior that allows useful conclusions in the target discourse.

Michael Jackson's nose was indeed immobile with respect to his head,
just as mine.
Immobility can only be seen wrt to the surrounding matter. The building
is just immobile
wrt the planet/landmass. If we talk about immobility here, immobility
wrt the planet
should be regarded as a special case of immobility with respect to a
larger thing.

A door is typically a mechanical, removable component of a building. I'd
call it an object.

I think we agree that the doorway, regardless of its material, is a
surface pattern of the building structure built for a certain purpose,
or found by chance in the environment (a cave home..). I'd not define it
by stop digging, but by functionality of form.
In the current definition of Physical Feature, this is comprised, as all
holes.

I'd argue that the salient feature of Physical Feature for us is that
removing implies destruction of material substance around it (cutting
etc.), and that it travels together with a larger mobile/movable/moving
body (be it the planet) in a certain position with respect to it. These
would be relevant conclusions for the historical discourse we could rely
on. For instance, the Abu Simbel temple, a cave,
was cut out of the surround rock by going sufficiently deeperinto the
bedrock.

Opinions?