[Crm-sig] new CIDOC CRM issue

Simon Spero sesuncedu at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:49:33 EET 2015

I believe the salient, er,  feature, of a man made feature is that it is
formed by modification of some physically existing thing, and cannot exist
entirely separately from that substrate.

Immobility is not the defining characteristic (e.g. the examples of Michael
Jackson's nose in physical feature / man made feature).

[I am not entirely sure how robust the definitions are; the examples of
door and doorway have some concealed metaphysical assumptions.  A door may
not be a feature of a building, but it is a feature of the wood or stone it
was made from. A doorway is a hole, and the first rule of ontologies of
holes is "stop digging". The holonyms of door handles are tricky enough.]

Casati, Roberto and Varzi, Achille, "Holes", *The Stanford Encyclopedia of
Philosophy *(Spring 2014 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), URL = <
http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/spr2014/entries/holes/>.

Simon