[Crm-sig] ISSUE 272

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Mar 19 21:20:56 EET 2015

Dear All,

Below my attempt to adapt the scope note of E4 Period
to be subclass of spacetime volume.

Comments welcome!

Martin

      E4 Period

Subclass of:E2<#_E2_Temporal_Entity>Temporal Entity

E92<#_E92_Spacetime_Volume>Spacetime Volume

Superclass of: E5<#_E5_Event>Event

Scope note:This class comprises sets of coherent phenomena or cultural
manifestations bounded in time and space.

It is the social or physical coherence of these phenomena that identify
an E4 Period and not the associated spatiotemporal bounds. These bounds
are a mere approximation of the actual process of growth, spread and
retreat. Consequently, different periods can overlap and coexist in time
and space, such as when a nomadic culture exists in the same area as a
sedentary culture.

As the actual extent of an E4 Period in spacetimewe regard the
trajectories of the participating physical things during their
participation in an instance of E4 Period, the open spaces via which
they have interacted and the spaces by which they had the potential to
interact during that period or event in the way defined by the type of
the respective period or event, such as the air in a meeting room
transferring the voices. Since these phenomena are fuzzy, we assume the
spatiotemporal extent to be contiguous, except for cases of phenomena
spreading out over islands or other separated areas. In these cases, the
trajectories necessary for participants to travel between these areas
are not regarded as part of the spatiotemporal extent. Consequently,
instances of E4 Period may occupy each a limited number of disjoint
spacetime volumes, however there must not be a discontinuity in the
total timespan covered by these spacetime volumes.

Typically this class is used to describe prehistoric or historic periods
such as the “Neolithic Period”, the “Ming Dynasty” or the “McCarthy
Era”, but also geopolitical units and activities of settlements are
regarded as special cases of E4 Period. Geopolitical units may be
distributed over disconnected areas, such as islands or colonies. In
such cases, the spatiotemporal extent is composed of more than one
spacetime volume. One may argue that the activities to govern
disconnected areas imply travelling through spaces connecting them and
that these areas hence are spatially connected in a way, but it appears
counterintuitive to consider for instance travel routes in international
waters as extensions of geopolitical units. Nevertheless, an instance of
E4 Period must be contiguous in time. I.e., if it has ended in all
areas, it has ended as a whole, but it may involve one area after
another, such as the Polynesian migration, as long as it is ongoingat
least in one area.

There are no assumptions about the scale of the associated phenomena. In
particular all events are seen as synthetic processes consisting of
coherent phenomena. Therefore E4 Period is a superclass of E5 Event. For
example, a modern clinical E67 Birth can be seen as both an atomic E5
Event and as an E4 Period that consists of multiple activities performed
by multiple instances of E39 Actor.

There are two different conceptualisations of ‘artistic style’, defined
either by physical features or by historical context. For example,
“Impressionism” can be viewed as a period lasting from approximately
1870 to 1905 during which paintings with particular characteristics were
produced by a group of artists that included (among others) Monet,
Renoir, Pissarro, Sisley and Degas. Alternatively, it can be regarded as
a style applicable to all paintings sharing the characteristics of the
works produced by the Impressionist painters, regardless of historical
context. The first interpretation is an E4 Period, and the second
defines morphological object types that fall under E55 Type.

Another specific case of an E4 Period is the set of activities and
phenomena associated with a settlement, such as the populated period of
Nineveh.

Examples:

§Jurassic

§European Bronze Age

§Italian Renaissance

§Thirty Years War

§Sturm und Drang

§Cubism

Properties*:*

P7<#_P7_took_place>took place at (witnessed): E53<#_E53_Place>Place

P8<#_P8_took_place>took place on or within (witnessed):
E18<#_E19_Physical_Object>Physical Thing

P9<#_P9_consists_of_%28forms%20part%20of%29>consists of (forms part of):
E4<#_E4_Period>Period

P10<#_P10_falls_within_%28contains%29>falls within (contains):
E4<#_E4_Period>Period

P132<#_P132_overlaps_with>overlaps with: E4<#_E4_Period>Period

P133<#_P133_is_separated_from>is separated from: E4<#_E4_Period>Period

P158<#_P158_%28Px3%29_occupied>occupied:
E92<#_E92_Spacetime_Volume>Spacetime Volume

*NEW SCOPE NOTE: *

      E4 Period

Subclass of:E2<#_E2_Temporal_Entity>Temporal Entity

E92<#_E92_Spacetime_Volume>Spacetime Volume

Superclass of: E5<#_E5_Event>Event

Scope note:This class comprises sets of coherent phenomena or cultural
manifestations occurring in time and space.

It is the social or physical coherence of these phenomena that identify
an E4 Period and not the associated spatiotemporal extent. This extent
is only the “ground” or space in an abstract physical sense that the
actual process of growth, spread and retreat has covered. Consequently,
different periods can overlap and coexist in time and space, such as
when a nomadic culture exists in the same area and time as a sedentary
[...]

Even though the substance of an instance of E4 Period is phenomena and
hence different from the substance of a spacetime volume, which is an
aggregation of points in spacetime, the real spatiotemporal extent of an
instance of E4 Period is regarded to be unique to it due to all its
details and fuzziness. Its identity and existence depends uniquely on
the identity of the instance of E4 Period. Therefore we model E4 Period
to be a subclass of E2 Temporal Entity and of E92 Spacetime volume, a
“phenomenal” one (see Hiebel et al.). By virtue of this multiple
inheritance, we avoid representing each instance of E4 Period together
with an instance of its associated spacetime volume, if we want to talk
about its physical extent. This model, even though combining two
distinct kinds of substance, is unambiguous, effective and corresponds
to the intuitions of natural language.

[...]

E92 Spacetime Volume:

Properties:

P10<#_P10_falls_within_%28contains%29>falls within (contains): E92
Spacetime Volume

P132<#_P132_overlaps_with>overlaps with: E92 Spacetime Volume

P133<#_P133_is_separated_from>is separated from: E92 Spacetime Volume