[Crm-sig] Fwd: DigiPal: The Problem of Digital Dating: Online Survey

Arianna.Ciula at roehampton.ac.uk Arianna.Ciula at roehampton.ac.uk
Thu Mar 12 11:31:20 EET 2015

Agreed.

There are however at least two references in the TEI to issues concerning the translation of verbal (and imprecise) temporal descriptions in the source text to interpretations of numerical values. See http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/CO.html#CONADA (in particular the reference to mechanisms connected to the expression of ' Certainty, Precision, and Responsibility') and also the reference to the possibility to link a temporal expression in the document being encoded to an explicit interpretation linking to a features structure mechanism outside of the encoding of that document (see http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/ND.html#NDDATER).

I see another issue concerning the interpretation of numbers into dating and connected to what you say here. For example in the survey there are two expressions: 'circa 1100' and 'circa 1172'. The number 1100 in natural but also palaeographical language might denote a full century and not just the year 1100, while 1172 is most likely used to denote that year only. So 'circa 1100' could arguably be understood to mean '1091-1199' while 'circa 1172' would be taken to denote a narrower interval range, say '1170-1174'.

Best,
Arianna

Dr Arianna Ciula
Department of Humanities
University of Roehampton | London | SW15 5PH
arianna.ciula at roehampton.ac.uk  | www.roehampton.ac.uk