[Crm-sig] Fwd: DigiPal: The Problem of Digital Dating: Online Survey

Christian-Emil Smith Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Thu Mar 12 10:36:10 EET 2015

It is an interesting problem. In printed editions  of medieval  documents , say regests,  the editors usually try to deduce a dating from the text and from the physical  document (information carrier).  This may well be 'spring 1288', 'summer 1340', 'first half of 12th c.' or 'March 12th 1289,1290 or 1294'

Many of not most databases with medieval material are based on retro digitized printed editions with dates as  above. If these dates which are the result of the analysis of a scholar are converted into exact dates or numeric intervals, then it is a second interpretation and an additional  indirection step away from the original text.

In an ideal world the evidence on which the deduction behind the dating should be available.  This is generally not so. This issue is for example not mentioned in the TEI guidelines.

Regards,
Christian-Emil