[Crm-sig] Disjunct properties

Simon Spero sesuncedu at gmail.com
Mon Jan 12 18:39:26 EET 2015

On Jan 12, 2015 7:25 AM, "Dan Matei" <danmatei50 at gmail.com> wrote:

> PS. I this way I could handle even disjunct properties with different
predicates. As – for instance — the major ontological contribution of a
(Hungarian) Transylvanian peasant:

> (Context: between the Wars). One day, the main road of the village is
crossed by a turtle. Huge amazement: the villagers did not see a thing like
that before. So they quickly ask for their wisest and most knowledgeable
guy, Sanyi Bácsi [Old Sandor/Alexander] (he attended the Great War !).
Sanyi Bácsi comes quickly, takes a good look and concludes: "This either is
something OR is going somewhere."

The example above  is ontologically and logically far more complicated than
the original question! Assuming a world in which the story describes an
actual occurrence (it can be the actual world,  a fictional world, or a
possible world; dealer's choice).

1) There's an indexical embedded in a speech act.

2) The indexical may be interpreted as referring to a tangible individual,
or to an instance of an action/event (a Going) performed by the tangible
individual.

3) The described incident occurs over a brief interval of time. Sub events
are relatively ordered, but the time span is unknown.

4) The described incident is a subinterval of a rough (not fuzzy) bounded
period of time (between the end of WWI and the start of WWII).

5) The named actor is described as a "(Hungarian) Transylvanian" peasant,
where at the time of the actor's birth, Hungarian would be an accurate
label for nationality and ethnicity; at the time of utterance could could
refer only to ethnicity;for a period of time after might refer to both, and
post war would be ethnicity only. Geophysical, geopolitical, and temporal
issues collide (cataloging rules too).

It's interesting how many of these issues are within the scope of the CRM.
I'm not sure off the top of my head how appellations whose references
*appear* to change over time are handled ( if names are rigid).

Simon