[Crm-sig] FRBRoo published in IFLA namespace

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 13 13:59:36 EET 2015

Dan,

As we were discussing in Oxford, there may be a case for having a number
of instantiations of the CRM for different specific purposes.  The
particular purpose I am thinking of is a CRM implementation which
supports Linked Data usage.  (Having that implementation doesn't stop us
having other, more human-friendly, implementations - potentially even
other RDF implementations.)

For this purpose, it is crucially important that the URLs representing
CRM classes and properties are stable over time. Including semantic
(and, as Martin observes, language-specific) text as part of the
identifier is a hostage to fortune which we could do without.  As Barry
comments, we can put the label into the RDF so that the explanation is
there if required.  In fact, doing it this way allows us to include
translations of the labels in multiple languages, which would actually
increase the utility of the CRM from an international perspective.

The Linked Data manifestation of the CRM is primarily designed to be
produced and consumed by machine processes, and we shouldn't be
concerned about how "obvious" it looks to human observers.  We can
develop software tools to provide tooltip explanations etc. where they
are required.

Richard

On 13/02/2015 10:55, Dan Matei wrote:
> As a (daily) user of CRM, I'm very much against criptic labels. I'm too old to remember the numbers in labels :-(
>
> Dan

*Richard Light*