[Crm-sig] Fwd: Re: Money, money, money...

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Feb 11 00:24:54 EET 2015

Dear Dan,

Thank you for this "sorry" :-) !

But I'd like to clarify three fundamental misunderstandings that this
seem to imply:

First, I repeatedly hear the argument, "this must be put into the CRM,
because I
need it". This implies the idea, that using the CRM in a compatible way
is restricting documentation
to CRM properties. This is simply wrong. The monetary value was regarded
as out of practical
scope, because museums would normally not disclose it. So, since the CRM
does not cover it,
you make your own extension or use another ontology to cover the gap, as
you did, or use a "has_note".
This is what I expect people to *do*, no reason for a "sorry".

Adding new concepts to the CRM is based on a thorough ontological
understanding,
an assessment of robustness of the concept so that we can standardize
without risking
the need to withdraw it tomorrow, and an assessment of relevance in
order not to overwelm
people with too many concepts. This is why we now systematically try
develop domain extensions.
All this needs time to be done right. Therefore, if you need now a
solution, there is no "sorry" in it.
Rather, we may learn from such extensions how to model the problem in a
robust way.
Standards must be reactive, NOT proactive.

Finally, you may imply that I have an emotional relation to people using
the CRM. In all questions,
decisions are taken by CRM-SIG and not me as a person. My emotional
relation is only to the
scientific and methodological rigor for developing ontologies for
cultural heritage to guarantee
increasing intellectual quality of the product. Again, no "sorry" needed
for your solution ;-) .

Thank you again for your kind "sorry",

Martin