[Crm-sig] Homework: issue 230

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Sat Feb 7 22:11:58 EET 2015

On 07/02/2015 09:42, Øyvind Eide wrote:
> Dear Richard, and all,
>
> To try to clarify in the light of the morning, there are (as I see it)
> two separate issues:
>
> 1. A simplification of the scope notes for E91 Co-Reference
> Assignment. This is a topic of the meeting next week. It would be good
> if you could comment if:
>
> a) the changes in scope notes introduces any new problems or solves
> old problems
> b) there are problems in E91 which was not solved by the proposed changes.
>
> 2. A document about (co)referencing. I would surely be happy to
> discuss that (at length!) but it is kept outside of CRM on purpose. It
> is a discussion document, not a part of the standard. Once finalised,
> it could be referred to from the standard if we so wish. As you can
> see it is still in draft form.
Hi,

While the document is indeed separate, a key conclusion from it is
included within the revised E91 scope notes:

The use of /P155 has co-reference target/ is limited to entities within
the knowledge base in which the E91 Co-Reference Assignment is found.
This is because the E91 Co-Reference Assignment is making explicit the
world view of the E39 Actor carrying out the assignment and this world
view is expressed as such only within that specific knowledge base.

I'm not clear at what level of abstraction we are meant to interpret
this statement.  The CRM is meant to be "a formal ontology which can be
expressed in terms of logic or a suitable knowledge representation
language".  So presumably "knowledge base" in the above text is meant in
an equally abstract sense.  Surely, in that abstract sense, every
assertion that any Actor makes ought to be expressed in terms which they
understand, i.e. terms from within their "specific knowledge base".
Otherwise they are just blathering on about stuff of which they know
naught.  And if all we are saying is that assertions should relate to
entities which fall within the knowledge base of the Actor making them,
then why is that so particularly true of co-reference assignments that
the point has to be laboured here?  Why is it less true of, say, Type
Assignment?

If, on the other hand, this statement is meant to be about Semantic Web
systems, then (a) I would probably still disagree with the need for it,
but (b) I would argue that it is out of scope in the core CRM document.

Richard

*Richard Light*