[Crm-sig] Homework: issue 230

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 6 21:07:26 EET 2015

On 06/02/2015 18:11, Øyvind Eide wrote:
> If one source refers to one object, then it is not a co-reference.
> Then it is a reference.
>
> Co-reference is there to say that you know (for some reason you may
> specify if you want to) that two or more word/phrases refer to the
> same real-world person. The latter can be specififed or it can be left
> undefined.
>
> I fail to see why co-reference should solve the problem of single
> propositional objects referring to real world objects — we already had
> mecanisms for that.
OK, here is an example.  This section of Linked Data text from the
recently-opened EEBO:

http://data.modes.org.uk/TEI-P5/EEBO-TCP/id/A01483.d1e2619

is, in my opinion, talking about this non-information object:

http://dbpedia.org/resource/Edward_Plantagenet,_17th_Earl_of_Warwick

How would you model that in the CRM?

> I have a feeling that the problems documented in the long paper would
> apply to single references too if the target is not modelled within
> your information system. This may be linked to fundamental problems
> with the whole linked data paradigm. But this is just a feeling so I
> have to flesh it out more to say something evidence based on it.
This is an aspect of the issue which I don't understand.  If you can't
(knowingly) decide that you trust an external Linked Data resource and
are allowed to make assertions which touch on the entities which it
defines, what hope is there for the whole Linked Data project?  (Or, if
this constraint is specific to the CRM, then the same point applies more
locally. :-) )

Richard

--
*Richard Light*