[Crm-sig] CRM HW: issue 252

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Feb 4 17:19:47 EET 2015

Dear Simon

On 4/2/2015 4:15 μμ, Simon Spero wrote:

> I think the use of "about" may be confusing  (at least to me).

May be a question to clarify with native English speakers?

> I've got a vague feeling that there might be some benefit in
>
> (a)  making explicit the quotational nature of the elements of a
> belief , in the way that the "(that <sentence>)" operator in IKL does.

How would you express that?:-)

> (b) making explicit what may be inferred about what a Believer
> believes, based on set of believed sentences.
> Doxastic logics (logics about belief) have many of the same problems
> as epistemic logics.
>
> For example,
>     if Fred believes that "P" and
>        Fred believes that "Q"
>    it may not be the case that Fred believes that "P and Q", even
> though the latter is entailed by classical propositional logic.
>
> CRM doesn't need the fancy stuff, but it might be good to make the
> rules a little bit more explicit (this seems to be the direction the
> edit is going).

I agree with the problems, but I'd argue the intention of CRMInf is
monitoring arguments, not commiting
to explicit rules. We take here a more empirical stance towards how
scholars and scientists argue, and not
what rules could be machine-evaluated. First we need to document, then
we can select what we can reason about. I hope I have interpreted
correctly what you mean by "rules" ?

> Cyc has the useful concept of the propositional content of a work,
> which denoted the microtheory containing all the propositions
> expressed by the work.  This seems to be close to what is being
> described here.

Could you give us an explicit reference:-) ? I think we should make more
references in our documents.

Best,

martin