[Crm-sig] Fwd: CRM HW: issue 252

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Feb 4 12:01:40 EET 2015

Dear Carlo,

I4 is meant to be this subclass of E90 and E89 : sets of symbolic
objects that are propositions and that can be true or false. Since E73
is a subclass of E90 and E89 already, but not restricted to formal
propositions in the narrower sense, I4 is subclass of E73 Information
Object.
Also, E89 is meant much wider, such as the plot of a story etc.

So, I think with defining I4 as we did, we do exactly what you propose?
The scope note is just meant to be
clear that propositions in I4 are restricted to a specific form.

So, I see your "EX" is just our "I4" ?

We may argue that "that an I2 Belief is held about" should be "that an
I2 Belief can be held about".

What do you think?

By the way, we regard shorter scope notes not as better. To our
experience they can cause a lot of ambiguity,
especially for newcomers, people from other disciplines and cultures.
They may even appear as arrogant.
ISO insists on single phrase definitions. Therefore the ISO version
splits the scope note into what ISO regards a definition and additional
explanations. We try to avoid all ambiguities that may arise when coming
from
different disciplines. Our default audience are scholars. Computer
scientists should just not be mislead by the
text.

All the best,

Martin