[Crm-sig] FRBRoo / CRM for prints?

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Mon Aug 3 22:36:08 EEST 2015

Dear Regine,

I think this is a nice application of FRBRoo to a more museum-like context.
The Work discussion is an old one. Both positions are justified. Therefore
FRBRoo defines an "Individual Work" in contrast to a "Complex Work".
In practice, i'd suggest instantiating the "Individual Work" can be
ommitted, once it can
be inferred, as we had proposed to Europeana.

I'd argue, the distinction "they are sometimes considered as a new
visual work, sometimes just as modification" is pointless,
because there is a new artistic contribution. The expression is new. The
Work gets another realization. The plate is
physically modified. The feature on it, the scratches, are new. An
Expression cannot be modified.

The "invenit" can be associated with the work conception, but is an
expression in its own right. The "FECIT" has its own artistic
contribution, I'd argue it is a derivative.

But there are better FRBR experts on this list!

I think it will be good to create a guideline for this case. I believe
it should be discussed together with the bronze casting
work.

All the best,

Martin