[Crm-sig] CRM and FOL was RE: reified association vs sub-event

Christian-Emil Smith Ore c.e.s.ore at iln.uio.no
Sun Oct 19 22:50:44 EEST 2014

Dear all,
I have to admit that I was somewhat skeptical when I first heard about the work on defining CIDOC-CRM in first order logic. The museum sector may find the CRM definition hard enough as it is. When I read the draft paper before the CRM-SIG meeting earlier this month, it stroke me that the formulation of CRM in first order logic was compact but very clarifying to me (I have to add that I have worked with logic and type theory before converting into Digital Humanities).  I don't demand that everybody should read  statements in first order logic and  I don't demand that everybody should understand the long and complex formulation in OWL (in fact much more difficult to understand than the plain notation of FOL).  A nice effect of the FOL formulation of CRM is that it will serve as a concise specification for  the groups developing OWL  (and DL) implementations of the standard, eg in Erlangen.

Best,
Christian-Emil