[Crm-sig] new CIDOC CRM issue

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue May 13 13:19:39 EEST 2014

Hi Martin,

Indeed the intention is to cover parts regardless spatial or temporal
order, because
in general they cannot be distinguished. Even "mainly temporal parts",
such as a period following another, spreads out over space.
Consequently, for some time, both coexist at
different places. This is why we are now introducing true spacetime
volumes into the CRM.
They are more realistic.

If we feel this should be clearer in the scope note and examples, that
could resolve the issue?

On 13/5/2014 12:14 μμ, Martin Scholz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> the discussion so far is only concerned about part-whole in time. E3
> and E4, however, both also extend in space -- but they use different
> CRM classes:
> an E3 Condition State is limited to an E18 Physical Thing, an E4
> Period is limited to an E53 Place. E2, however, is only located in
> time, not in space.
Exactly, this is why my opinion is they cannot be mixed.