[Crm-sig] new CIDOC CRM issue

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Tue May 13 10:58:34 EEST 2014

Dear Simon,

I have the impression that you take the density of time, to which CRM
commits, for the decomposition of phenomena happening in time, which is E2,
the nature of E2 is not the nature of time however.

Further, you seem to talk about the question if there are minimal
elements, that cannot be subdivided further. For time, the CRM does not
assume that, as you argue. Currently, the CRM assumes only for Actor
minimal elements of decomposition.

The first question is rather, if there are phenomena in time that reveal
a structure with distinct recognizable identities that have a part-whole
relationship, such as "Early Minoan" and "Middle Minoan".  They are
identified by observable characteristics, not by subdivision on the
time-line.

The second question is, if these part-whole relationships can be mixed
between subcategories: Can a natural part of a Condition State be an
Event, or can a E4 Period ever have a part which is a Condition State?
If not, then a common property would produce "non-intended models" as
Nicola Guarino describes it. This cannot always be avoided, but we try
to minimalize this effect.

Finally, CRM properties are optional, so there is no commitment given by
the definition of a part-of property, that all instances of that class
must have parts. Indeed, for material objects, we may end up with
nuclear particles as end points, but those are out of scope, but long
before, the notion of a Physical Object would loose its meaning.

If there is a characteristic class in scope which forms the minimal
elements, then we would model the decomposition down to this class, as
in the case of Actor and Person.

The question if the labels of these part-of relations should be
different is interesting. So far we have prefered that they have all the
same name, because that renders the meaning clearly, but different
P-number, which renders the constraint. To include the class name in the
label may be another method to render the constraint, but it produces
long names difficult for translation, and is counterintuitive when used
with subclasses, such as an Event consisting of several Periods, or a
Period consisting of Events, which is intended.

Comments?

Martin