[Crm-sig] Issue 230 Co-reference

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Sun Mar 30 22:25:56 EEST 2014

Dear Oeyvind,

On 29/3/2014 10:13 πμ, Øyvind Eide wrote:
> It is quite possible that I do not understand what you say about P155. So this is my understanding of it:
>
> Co-reference assignment is about making explicit a fact which is assumed by the one making the assignment to be true.
Yes.
> An example:
>
> I claim that the word "Passau" on my train ticket and the place referred to by "city where the first DHd conference took place" both refer to the physical place Passau. If I make this statement in an information system, I would say:
>
> E91 Co-Reference Assignment P155 has co-reference target P53 Passau.
> (+ the other properties)
>
> The P155 points to the thing in the world to which the person making the co-reference assignment believes the references to point to.
Yes. How do I know that the URI (or whatever the range instance of P155
is) points to the Passau
I ment when I make this statement? This is why I said,
"The range of P155 can be interpreted as a URI (or whatever identity)
used within the same knowledge base as the instance of E91. Then, it
would correspond to a co-reference between some text element and the
knowledge base in which we implement the CRM, the "local truth".

It means, the Co-Reference statement shares the same reality (my
understanding of the world )
as the identifier for "Passau" at p155. In other words, I know by sure
how to relate this identifier to
the City in Bavaria. It could however be, that I refer to a URI for
"Passau", which has been imported
in my knowledge base, and indeed was used for another Passau in another
knowledge base which coined the URI. Then, my coref statement would be
misleading. Indeed, it would be yet another co-reference, but this time
to the use of a URI within a knowledge base, rather than a word within a
text.

All the magic is in your phrase: "The P155 points to the thing in the
world". Whose world?

Therefore, I'd suggest that P155 must point to an identifier of
something the person who makes the
co-ref statement has an unambiguous notion of reality about, either a
thing in the world by use
of an identifier the person "knows" to interpret, or pointing to a
hypothetical thing "the thing referred in these two texts, whatever it
is". In the latter case, it has an identity condition based on the text.
In any case, the scope note must make clear what difference is between
P155 the other links in terms
of knowing. Therefore I proposed a "local shared truth" for P155.

Opinions?

Cheers,

Martin