[Crm-sig] Issue 230 Co-reference

Øyvind Eide lister at oeide.no
Sat Mar 29 10:13:18 EET 2014

It is quite possible that I do not understand what you say about P155. So this is my understanding of it:

Co-reference assignment is about making explicit a fact which is assumed by the one making the assignment to be true. An example:

I claim that the word "Passau" on my train ticket and the place referred to by "city where the first DHd conference took place" both refer to the physical place Passau. If I make this statement in an information system, I would say:

E91 Co-Reference Assignment P155 has co-reference target P53 Passau.
(+ the other properties)

The P155 points to the thing in the world to which the person making the co-reference assignment believes the references to point to.

It may not be known, and it may not be documented -- open world. But the links from the two strings above to the physical place we know as Passau was not created in or by the co-reference assignment, it was made explicit in the assignment.

Of course I can use a URI for Passau. But that is at implementation level, is it not?

All the best from the train from Passau to Freising,

Øyvind