[Crm-sig] Issue 235 home work

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Mar 27 20:07:39 EET 2014

Dear All,

In 29th CRM-SIG meeting, new classes and properties have been introduced
  describing space -time. The crm-sig decided that the properties : E4
<#_E4_Period> Period.P9 consists of (forms part of): E4 <#_E4_Period>
Period, and E4 <#_E4_Period> Period.P10 falls within (contains): E4
<#_E4_Period> Period should be rephrased in order to  include
space--time, and  to be checked if this is consistent with phenomenal
space /time.

P9 now:

      P9 consists of (forms part of)

Domain:E4 <#_E4_Period> Period

Range:E4 <#_E4_Period> Period

Quantification:one to many, (0,n:0,1)

Scope note:This property describes the decomposition of an instance of
E4 Period into discrete, subsidiary periods.

The sub-periods into which the period is decomposed form a logical whole
- although the entire picture may not be completely known - and the
sub-periods are constitutive of the general period.

Examples:

*Cretan Bronze Age (E4) /consists of /Middle Minoan (E4)

Proposed new scope note:

"This property associates an instance of E4 Period with another instance
of E4 Period that constitutes a part or phase of the former, i.e., a
sub-period. An instance of E4 Period qualifies as a sub-period, if the
E92 Spacetime Volume it occupies is completely contained in the E92
Spacetime Volume of the super-period, and if the kind of phenomena by
which it is defined are consistent and coherent with the kind of
phenomena by which the super-period is defined."

I suggest to drop "decomposition", "discrete", and "constitutive" all
over. The latter I regard as terms
for describing the special cases of cutting cultural periods into
"early-middle-late".
I leave it here open if the space-time volume is partially declarative,
such as the boundary between
"Early Minoan" and "Middle Minoan". Important is that the notion of what
it "occupies" is consistent.

P10 now:

      P10 falls within (contains)

Domain:E4 <#_E4_Period> Period

Range:E4 <#_E4_Period> Period

Quantification:many to many (0,n:0,n)

Scope note:This property describes an instance of E4 Period, which falls
within the E53 Place and E52 Time-Span of another.

The difference with /P9 consists of (forms part of)/ is subtle. Unlike
/P9 consists of (forms part of)/, /P10 falls within/ /(contains)/ does
not imply any logical connection between the two periods and it may
refer to a period of a completely different type.

Examples:

§the Great Plague (E4) /falls within/ The Gothic period (E4)

Proposed:

P10 is "inverse superproperty of" P9. P9 is "inverse subproperty of" P10.

Scope note:
"This property associates an instance of E4 Period with another instance
of E4 Period in order to describe that the E92 Spacetime Volume the
former occupies falls within the E92 Spacetime Volume that latter occupies.

The difference with /P9 consists of (forms part of)/ is subtle. Unlike
/P9 consists of (forms part of)/, /P10 falls within/ /(contains)/ does
not imply any logical connection between the two periods and it may
refer to a period of a completely different type of phenomena."