[Crm-sig] CRMSci

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Thu Mar 27 21:18:33 EET 2014

Dear All,

Following the decision in the last CRM SIG meeting, we have put up a
draft version of
CRM Sci on the cidoc-crm Website:
http://www.cidoc-crm.org/technical_papers.html#CRMsci

CRMSci, the "Scientific Observation Model" is a formal ontology intended
to be used as a global schema for integrating metadata about scientific
observation, measurements and processed data in descriptive and
empirical sciences such as biodiversity, geology, geography,
archaeology, cultural heritage conservation and others in research IT
environments and  research data libraries. Its primary purpose is
facilitating the management, integration, mediation, interchange and
access to research data by description of semantic relationships, in
particular causal ones. It is not primarily a model to process the data
themselves in order to produce new research results, even though its
representations offer themselves to be used for some kind of
processing.It uses and extends the CIDOC CRM (ISO21127) as a general
ontology of human activity, things and events happening in spacetime.

The model has so far been validated in several national and
international projects by implementing it in slightly different versions
together with application-specific extensions and by mapping to and from
related standards. The document describes a consolidated version from
this experience, with the aim to present it for review and further
adoption by CIDOC. The model is not "finished", some parts such as the
subclasses of inference making are not fully developed in terms of
properties, and all constructs and scope notes are open to further
elaboration, commenting and revision.

It is a base for another CRM extension for archaeology, "CRMArcheo",
also under revision by CRM-SIG and the Archeological Documentation
Working Group of CIDOC.

Please send your comments and feel free to distribute the model to
colleagues.

Best wishes,