[Crm-sig] finding things

Wolfgang Schmidle wolfgang.schmidle at uni-koeln.de
Mon Jun 30 14:02:37 EEST 2014

I see that the Find event in archaeology has found a new home in the Scientific Observation model extension of the CRM, in the form of S19 Encounter Event, subclass of S4 Observation, in turn subclass of E13 Attribute Assignment. That seems sensible.

However, I am struggling with the Scope note of „O21 has found at (witnessed): E53 Place“ in CRMsci 1.2.1: „This property associates an instance of S19 Encounter Event with an instance of E53 Place at which an encounter event found things. It identifies the narrower spatial location in which a thing was found at. This maybe known or given in absolute terms or relative to the thing found. It describes a position within the area in which the instance of the encounter event occurred and found something.“

* Apparently the Find event has to take place where the object is. In other words, someone can detect an object e.g. on an aerial photo but the Find event is still where the object is and not where the person looking at the photo is located. Is this correct?
* Is O21 has found at (witnessed) a subproperty of P7 took place at (witnessed), or not? (If O21 is not a subproperty of P7, the reason should be made clear in the Scope note.)
* The „narrower spatial location“ seems to suggest this chain: S19 Encounter Event O21 has found at P53 Place (the narrower spatial location) P89 falls within E53 Place (e.g. the excavation site). Is this what is meant?
* I don’t understand „a position within the area in which the instance of the encounter event occurred“. It seems to suggest that the place of „O21 has found at“ is smaller than the place of „P7 took place at“, ideally even a single point. If so, why is this distinction made?
* maybe —> may be?
* „or relative to the thing found“: What would be a meaningful example for this?

Thanks,
Wolfgang