[Crm-sig] A CRM API?

Barry Norton BNorton at britishmuseum.org
Mon Jun 2 11:45:35 EEST 2014

Well, Linked Data is RESTful insofar as resources are resolvable (GETtable) and interlinked, cf.:

$ curl -LH "Accept:text/html" http://collection.britishmuseum.org/id/object/EOC3130
$ curl -LH "Accept:text/turtle" http://collection.britishmuseum.org/id/object/EOC3130
$ curl -LH "Accept:application/json" http://collection.britishmuseum.org/id/object/EOC3130

Unfortunately the latter is not yet JSON-LD at the BM, which would be my preference if you want to use JSON alongside CRM descriptions.

We mirror the structure and descriptions of (currently Erlangen-identified) CRM terms, allowing:

$ curl -LH "Accept:application/json" http://collection.britishmuseum.org/resource/ecrm/E22_Man-Made_Object
{
  "http://erlangen-crm.org/current/E22_Man-Made_Object" : {
    "http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#subClassOf" : [ {
      "value" : "http://erlangen-crm.org/current/E19_Physical_Object",
      "type" : "uri"
    }, {
      "value" : "http://erlangen-crm.org/current/E24_Physical_Man-Made_Thing",
      "type" : "uri"
    } ],
    "http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#type" : [ {
      "value" : "http://www.w3.org/2002/07/owl#Class",
      "type" : "uri"
    } ],
    "http://www.w3.org/2000/01/rdf-schema#comment" : [ {
      "value" : "Scope note:\nThis class comprises physical objects purposely created by human activity.\nNo assumptions are made as to the extent of modification required to justify regarding an object as man-made. For example, an inscribed piece of rock or a preserved butterfly are both regarded as instances of E22 Man-Made Object.\n\nExamples:\n- Mallard (the World's fastest steam engine)\n- the Portland Vase\n- the Coliseum",
      "type" : "literal"
    } ]
  }
}

I’d like to see content-negotiable, JSON-LD supporting individual terms of the CRM at the canonical URLs, and I’d be happy to help.

Barry