[Crm-sig] ISSUE E70 scope note

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Wed Jul 30 18:35:23 EEST 2014

Dear All,

I am not happy with the scope note of E70:

"This general class comprises usable discrete, identifiable, instances of E77 Persistent Item that
are documented as single units.

They can be either intellectual products or physical things, and are characterized by relative stability. They
may for instance either have a solid physical form, an electronic encoding, or
they may be logical concept or structure."

I propose:
"This general class comprises discrete, identifiable, instances of E77 Persistent Item that
are documented as single units, that either consist of matter or depend on being carried by matter
and are characterized by relative stability.

They may be intellectual products or physical things. They
may for instance have a solid physical form, an electronic encoding, or
they may be a logical concept or structure."

Reasons:

The current definition is, besides others, incompatible with fluids in bottles, geological concepts
and some archaeological samples, which we would not like to exclude. I suggest to get rid of the
enumerative "either or", which is in contradiction to a definition by substance.

Best,

martin