[Crm-sig] *** ISSUE *** Revision of scope note for E73 Information Object to specifically include named graphs

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Sun Jul 27 23:24:43 EEST 2014

Dear Simon,

On 26/7/2014 12:41 πμ, Simon Spero wrote:
> To clarify (or obfuscate),
>
> The term "named graph", as used in  RDF, is defined in section 4 of
> the RDF 1.1 Concepts and Abstract Syntax Recommendation
> <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#section-dataset>.
>
>     Each named graph is a pair consisting of an IRI
>     <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-iri> or a blank node
>     (the graph name), and an RDF graph
>     <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-rdf-graph>.
>     [...]
>
>     NOTE
>
>     Despite the use of the word “name” in “named graph
>     <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-named-graph>”, thegraph
>     name <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-graph-name>is not
>     required todenote
>     <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-denote>the graph. It is
>     merely syntactically paired with the graph. RDF does not place any
>     formal restrictions on whatresource
>     <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#dfn-resource>the graph name
>     may denote, nor on the relationship between that resource and the
>     graph. A discussion of different RDF dataset semantics can be
>     found in [RDF11-DATASETS
>     <http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/#bib-RDF11-DATASETS>].

That's clear enough :-)

I see your point now: The Named Graph is does not give a name to the set
of triples in it, because two identical sets of triples can have
different names. It is a new thing with a name, which contains a set of
triples.

>  I have no problems with having an  entity that made of one part that
> is a  Propositional Object, and another part that is an IRI. The
> obvious identity criteria for such an entity would include both
> components - two "named graph"s with different IRI parts would be
> distinct.
That is the idea. I'd see the propositions as "content" or "parts" of
the Named Graph. At least implementations using reference counts
for identical triples in diferent Named Graphs regard them as
non-identical, even if they have the same content. That makes them
suitable for us to trace provenance as we would do with information
objects. Information Objects acquire an individual history. With
Named Graphs, I can connect such a history. I could also use the Named
Graph to model a belief - associating with the IRI a belief value, a
validity time-Span and a believing Actor.

Interesting cases are, when different people detect the same laws of
nature or mathematics. We would keep the different traditions as
distinct, and eventually detect the identity, which merges the two
traditions. Otherwise we would mess up reasoning about the information
transfer. Also, we would mess up cases when different senses are
intended with incidentally identical phrases.
So, I'd argue, semantics of Named Graphs that bind identity to the name
plus content are indeed what we need to model information objects
consisting of statements in form of triples.