[Crm-sig] *** ISSUE *** Revision of scope note for E73 Information Object to specifically include named graphs

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Jul 25 20:13:08 EEST 2014

Dear Simon,

I am not sure if I understand your argument. Any informartion object
might quite well have a name.
In particular it has an identity as a unit, and being a unit is not
equal to any of its propositions. This is probably
the same as modelling the Named Graphs as tuples (name, set).

I'd however question your statement:
"Named graphs are not graphs that are named; they are a tuple..." I'd
say, they are graphs that are named
in the framework of RDF encoding using a particular syntax. They can be
modelled mathematically as tuples...."
A tuple (name, set) is equally meaningless out of the context to which
such a model refers to. It could be
anything you would like to use it for. That's maths. Isn't it?

In other words, yes, an information object has not only content. It has
a unity, an identity, and even a provenance.

The question is, if two information objects are identical if the contain
the same set of symbols or propositions
but have different provenance. This is particularly a problem with very
small information objects.