[Crm-sig] *** ISSUE *** Revision of scope note for E73 Information Object to specifically include named graphs

Richard Light richard at light.demon.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 11:03:00 EEST 2014

I must say that I'm not so sure that named graphs are going to be
particularly useful for implementations of the CRM.  As I understand it
(and I don't claim to be an RDF expert), the idea of quads was invented
so that "naked" RDF assertions could be given a "context". The problem I
have always had with that idea is that you only get one shot at it (i.e.
you can only assign one context to any given triple).

Surely (a) we need to be able to express multiple contexts for
statements made within the CRM, (b) we have already developed a rich
enough use of RDF to allow us to do so.

Richard

On 24/07/2014 05:57, Simon Spero wrote:

> The AAT might work.
> I'm not entirely sure that named graphs are propositional objects as
> defined in the CRM, but I think the definition is loose enough.
>
> Named graphs are not graphs that are named; they are a tuple of an IRI
> (which is a name), and graph (which is the set of propositions). If
> the name is a proposition, it is not one in the graph it is associated
> with.
>
> If Propositional objects can include parts which are not propositions
> then there is no problem- though it would seem more natural to have
> information objects only part of which are propositional.
> That would be a bit too  big a change this far down the road ; if
> named graphs can't fit directly, graphs themselves would; these could
> be part of named graphs.
>
> On Jul 24, 2014 12:15 AM, "Stephen Stead" <steads at paveprime.com
> <mailto:steads at paveprime.com>> wrote:
>
>     Can you think of a named graph that would be sufficiently iconic
>     to make a
>     good example?
>     Rgds
>     SdS
>
>     Stephen Stead
>     Tel +44 20 8668 3075 <tel:%2B44%2020%208668%203075>
>     Mob +44 7802 755 013 <tel:%2B44%207802%20755%20013>
>     E-mail steads at paveprime.com <mailto:steads at paveprime.com>
>     LinkedIn Profile http://uk.linkedin.com/in/steads

*Richard Light*