[Crm-sig] finding things, ISSUE took place at

martin martin at ics.forth.gr
Fri Jul 18 22:40:14 EEST 2014

Dear Wolfgang,

In addition to Gerald's comments, I'd like to add that the distinction
between "finding"
in physical presence of the Actor and "finding" by data evaluation lies
in the way we would
reason about sources of knowledge & errors, even both could be named "find".

In case of physical presence, we would rely on a combination of sensory
impressions of the
Actor and signals of his instruments. We would seek verification from
both, and conclude
where the Actor "was present at".

In case of data evaluation, all knowledge about this process can be
verified/falsified with the
data and metadata known to the evaluator. One would reason about the
reliability by the quality
and type of the measured signal.

Since ontologies are not dictionaries, lectical identity is not a
concern :-) .

Further, the place where an observation takes place includes the
observer, the observed and his instruments,
in any case in the meter scale or more. Therefore we distinguish a spot,
which is result of an observation, from
the space in which the observation was made.

It is an ISSUE to clarify this interpretation of "took place at".

All the best,

Martin