[Crm-sig] Technique and product of technique

Stephen Stead steads at paveprime.com
Mon Jul 14 10:13:25 EEST 2014

A useful way to think of E29 is to regard it as the instructions you would
follow in order to perform some task. These could be codified in a document
or exist as a set of "tribal knowledge" in either the performers of the task
or in the observers of the results of the task. So for example we, as
curators, may observe that vase 27 was made using the same technique that
all "blue-slipped ware" vases are made with. So this recognisable way of
making "blue-slipped ware" vases is an E29 Design or Procedure, even though
we do not have a document that tells us how it is done.
The difference between this and a E55 Type linked by P32 used general
technique (was technique of) is that we (as documenters) recognise the
homogeneity of the resulting products and wish to characterise this as being
caused by a singular methodology that is itself then a topic in our
discourse.
Hope this helps
Regards
SdS