[Crm-sig] Technique and product of technique

Athanasios Velios a.velios at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 13:13:08 EEST 2014

Hello list,

We are compiling a thesaurus of bookbinding terms and we would like some
advice on this:

The CRM says E29 Design or Procedure can be:

"1. A schema for the activities it describes
2. A schema of the products that result from their application."

Does this mean that one can use E29 Design or Procedure to describe a
feature or an object? Am I misinterpreting the purpose of E29?

Two examples:
gilding (technique) -> gilding (feature)
tooling (decorative techniques of covers) -> tooling (embossed feature
on cover)

The question came up when considering a number of techniques/features
terms. AAT seems to often define these separately, and I think this
should be the case, but some people may feel this is redundant after
looking at E29 and since the definitions of a given pair of
technique/feature are almost identical.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Thanasis
--